Good Egg Safety car seat checking events
Good Egg Safety is the leading organisation for in car child safety, and we have checked over 20,500 car seats since 2002. The child seat events are designed to give parents somewhere to go to have their child’s car seat checked, so they can make sure they are sitting safely.
Over the years the rate of incorrect fitment has risen however, and over the last 5 years the rate of incorrect fitment has increased by 43%. The 5 year average for car seats being incorrectly fitted, based on over 12,000 checks, now stands at 57%.
The amount of incorrectly fitted seats last year was 64% in Scotland, and 71% in England and Wales. Our research suggests there are a vast majority of seats being bought online, where a parent receives little advice on choosing the right seat, and no help with fitting safely. Other issues come from poor advice given by retail staff, and parents and carers accepting hand me downs and second hand seats.
Anybody can have an incorrectly fitted seat, and it is not something to feel guilty or be embarrassed about, it is certainly better to find out any problems with your seat during a checking event, than in a collision!
What happens at a child seat checking event?
Child seat checking events allow our highly trained experts to be on hand to not only check your car seat for you, but to also answer all questions and queries you may have – no matter how small! We will also have a height chart available, stickers for the children and our handy Good Egg Guides for mums, dads and carers.
There are two parts to getting your car seat checked – checking the seat fits your car and is fitted correctly, and checking your child fits the seat and is strapped in correctly. We can check your car seat fitment even if your child is not with you.
Checking the seat fits your car:
- We check for any fitting concerns, such as buckle crunch, forward anchor point, floor boxes and the fit of the child seat to the vehicle seat
- We then check the seat belt is routed correctly, and we will inform you of any errors we find.
If there are any errors with the seat compatibility or fitment, we will explain these fully to you, and then explain and demonstrate how to correct the issue. We are almost always able to correct errors and rarely have to recommend a new seat.
Checking the seat fits your child:
- We will ask for your child’s age, weight and check their height to ensure the seat they are travelling in is suitable for them.
- We will then ask you to fit your child into the seat as you normally would do. We check the harness is at the correct height and tension, and give any advice that may be necessary (such as removing thick clothing).
- If any adjustments are required to your seat we will explain these to you, and then help you make the adjustments.
Finally, if the seat has had to be removed from the vehicle, we will help you put it back in – we always insist that you fit the seat yourself however, so you can be fully confident with the seat fitment the next time you have to take it out!